What could be the white patches of hair on chin that appear bald patches when shaved?

I have white patches of hair that will appear on my chin. They have ranged in size from a quarter to currently a dime. The quarter sized spots, that I had first, finally grew back brown, with only a couple of hairs staying white. They appear to be bald spots if cleanly shaved. What the heck is this?
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Alopecia areata,steroid injection will help Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for writing here. It seems you are having alopecia areata. This is an auto immune disorder where there is sudden loss of hairs in some parts leading to bald patches. It can occur on scalp hairs and on beard areas. Alopecia areata is self limiting in most of cases.Hairs regrow on patches and some of them are white as pigmentation process is affected sometimes. Spreading alopecia is a thing rather to worry.You need to take treatment to arrest the progress of disease. A topical steroid lotion like diprovate with minoxidil lotion will help. However gold standard treatment is intralesional injection of steroids in the patch itself.You need to consult a dermatologist for this. Hope this will help you.Take care.