What could be the side effects of Setraline if taken accidentally by child?

General Surgeon
Question
my 11 months baby (boy) bymistake eaten 100 mg Setra , i have been already consult a md (ped)he made stomoch suction and removes all from stomach he has done after 45 min from taking drug/ but my baby is not behave like normal, he is not sleeping,and not crying,so pls do suggestion to me please urgent e-mail YYYY@YYYY cell- 0000(maharastra)
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Maintaining nutrition and supportive care Detailed Answer: Namasthe Greetings of the day Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Dear XXXXXXX I do Understand your apprehension you anxiety being a father. Setraline is a antidepressant drug which is class of Selective Serotonine reuptake Inhibitor class of Drug. Unlike other anti-depresssant, this drug is potentially free from major adverse side effects. Commonest side effect being Nausea and Insomnia( Loss of sleep). The usual toxic dose of Setraline is 50- 100 times the body weight. Assuming the approximate weight of your son to be 9- 10 kg, dosage of setraline consumed is 100mg which is only 10 times the body weight. As your baby was given stomach wash within 1 hour, atleast half of the drug has been taken off from the stomach by the wash. Insomnia or loss of sleep is very common after the first dose. Supportive care and maintaining nutrition of baby is all that is required. Rest be assured everything will be fine. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will get back to you. Take Care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Pediatric Surgeon

Follow-up: What could be the side effects of Setraline if taken accidentally by child? 7 hours later
it is a antidepression tab serta100,my question is it will effect only some hrs or some days only. or may affect whole life because it a 11 month baby,whether any permantly effect to brain is it possible

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Setraline has no long term effects Detailed Answer: Greetings I do understand your concern. Setraline , the half life of drug excretion is 26hours. It takes four half life for drug to be completely excreted from the body. So within 106 hours ~ 4 days Setraline is completely excreted from the body. Setraline has no longer term effect and will not affect the developing brain of the baby. There is no need to be.worried about. Rest be assured everything is alright Wishing your baby a quick recovery . Do get back to me if you have any other query Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What could be the side effects of Setraline if taken accidentally by child? 2 hours later
dear sir, he is not taking mother's breast feeding since drug serta has been taken .and also home made rice ,chapati,cow milk is also avoiding what is region for this

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult pediatrician if totally no intake Detailed Answer: Dear brother XXXXXXX If he is completely refusing all the feeds, kindly consult your Pediatrician and supplementation by intravenous fluid may be required. Setraline is free from major side effects, it basically prevent uptake of serotonin which is normally found in the body . It acts by increasing the concentration of serotonin which is normally present in the body. If the baby is consuming less of feeds but it's physical activity is alright then there is no cause of concern. You can also consider giving wheat porridge, boiled eggs, citrus fruits like oranges can also be given. Avoid giving honey as it's not recommended in babies less than 1years of age. Do get back to me if you have any other query. Take care Regards Dr Deepak