Ask a Dentist   »  

What could be the red rashes on the roof of mouth?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Thank you...I have a fleshy reddish tag about 1/4 square on the upper rear of the roof of my mouth.
It has been there for at least a couple years and I only notice it when I have a cold or virus. It seems to become inflamed and annoying then. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

Corresponding to your age, the fleshy tag of mucosa could be a cyst with mucus collection or enlarged upper lobe of tonsil or a papilloma. All of them are relatively harmless and can be confirmed by examination of the lesion.

If you could kindly send us the photograph of the lesion we will be able to help you in a better way by giving a detailed explanation about the lesion and its management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up query.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: What could be the red rashes on the roof of mouth? 2 days later
Dr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for your speedy reply. I am attatching a photo of this tag as you requested. Please let me know what you think once you have looked at the photo.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

I am unable to view the attachment posted by you, could you kindly mail it gain.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: What could be the red rashes on the roof of mouth? 44 hours later

Hi...
I have tried to resend my photo of the lesion described above. I am having difficulty sending it on this website. Can you provide me any directions how I should do this.
Thank You

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
You can mail it at ' YYYY@YYYY '. In the subject line, put "Attention to Dr XXXXXXX Kumar"
Thanks

Follow-up: What could be the red rashes on the roof of mouth? 22 hours later
Dr. Kuman;
I have attatched a photo of the sore inside my mouth that I have been discussing with you.
Please let me know what you think once you have reviewed it.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for writing back and also apologize for the inconvenience caused while sending the attachment.

I have indeed gone through the photograph and I presume it is a mucocele in the hard palate at the junction of the hard and soft palate.

Mucocele is a sac filled with mucus, it happens when the opening of the accessory salivary gland is blocked. Do not worry! It is a harmless swelling which disappears once the sac ruptures and recurs again once the opening is blocked. If the growth is seen often, it is wiser to get it excised and sent for histopathological examination to confirm the diagnosis. It will not subside with oral medications.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon