What could be the reason for tripping frequently and losing balance on right leg?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I want to describe a peculiar pain I am going through in my right leg on and above the ankle. I have been gymming frequently using Basketball shoes and one day on the treadmill experienced some pain on my left leg due to fast walking. Later when I walked out of the gym I shifted my balance on the right leg as my left leg was hurting and my right leg twisted almost 90 degrees i.e. the ankle hit the ground. The basketball shoes made the impact even more painful and it took me a couple of days to get out of it. For the past 3 weeks I haven't been gymming nor have I been using my Basketball shoes. I have tripped on the same right foot more than 15 times now and experience severe pain for about a minute after which it turns normal. I have been walking normally, but I just cant quite avoid my right foot from tripping over atleast once or twice everyday. I have had quite a few incidents of sprains and hairline fractures on the leg during my playing days 7 years ago, but this pain seems to be very minute when compared to all of it. But I would not want to assume anything as I am tripping frequently on the right leg, almost as if I lose balance all of a sudden. Please let me know what can be done and what medical procedures do I need to undergo.
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 26 hours later
Brief Answer: Ligament injury causing unstable ankle. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description it seems you might develop ligament injury over ankle causing unstable ankle. It might be reason of your frequent fall. You need a MRI/x-ray of ankle after get examined by orthopaedic surgeon. Management depend upon type and extent of tear of ligament. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care.