What could be the reason for swollen right eyelid?
User rating for this question
My husband woke up this morning with his right eyelid swollen. He gets this periodically. We used to think it was change of season but he gets it randomly. Always the right eye. He has been tested for food allergies and he does not have them. What do you think? We haven't seen an eye doctor yet but .... Help! He ate nothing unusual yesterday- pizza, cereal, and pumpkin pie.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 3 hours later
Brief Answer: This can be inflammation or allergy. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that your husband is having recurrent swelling of the eye lid involving the right eye and this is recurrent in nature. The swelling can be because of inflammation of the gland of the eyelids or because of allergic affection. Since it is present in only one eye it is not because of systemic problems. Coming to the differentiation, if the swelling is associated with inflammatory symptoms like pain, redness... it is because of inflammation of the glands of the eyelids like hordeolum externum or internum. The treatment of the condition is by using oral antiinflammatory drugs, antibiotic eye ointment and hot compression applied to the local swelling area. If the swelling is diffuse and associated with itching in the absence of pain, it can be because of allergies and the treatment is by using antiallergic drugs and cold compression. Both the above mentioned causes are typically recurrent in nature. Hence you can start the treatment depending on the above mentioned two common causes and if the condition is not responding to treatment do consult your doctor for examination and treatment accordingly. Thank you
People also viewed
- What could be the reason for swollen ankle
- What could be reason for swollen cubital lymphnode
- Used to smoke weed everyday then stopped
- Flucloxacillin euphoria
- What could be the reason for swollen right eyelid
- Patulous eustachian tubes thyroid nodules
- Clogged sinus make eye twitch
- Clindamycin for treatment for pink eye
- Clindamycin being used for pink eye
- What could be the reason for swollen legs
- Swollen tongue on right side what could be the reason
- Clogged eye lid pores
- Waking up with a headache everyday and indijestion
- Feeling faint everytime i smoke weed?
- Clogged hair follicles on eyelids