What could be the reason for sudden lower back pain?

Severe pain in lower back. While playing Cricket I had bent forward to catch the ball. Suddenly the pain started. Please advise.
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX You need to be examined by a doctor as to the location and severity of the pain. For now you can take a tablet of brufen 200 mg and try to take some rest. If it is muscle strain it will get better with rest and muscle relaxants. If the pain is not controlled with brufen, then you will need stronger pain-killers like voveran, etc. If the pain is coming from spine, then giving the back some rest is a must. A waist belt will help along with medicines as prescribed by your doctor. I would suggest that you consult an orthopedic surgeon for the same. Regards Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: What could be the reason for sudden lower back pain? 40 minutes later
Hi Thanks for replying. Actually sometimes I feel like pinched nerve and killer pain. If I get some massage I feel better. And how many tablets I 've to take? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi again Detailed Answer: Hi again Brufen can be taken 2 - 3 times a day if pain happens. If the pain does not get better with simple measures like pain-killers and rest, then you will need stronger medicines. For these medicines you will need a written prescription. Most back pains get better within 1 month with simple measures only. Till then do not make any movements of that part of back. Give it adequate rest. Take care. Dr Vaishalee