What could be the reason for sudden loss of consciousness?

my husband was working at his desk in the den last night and for no apparent reason passed out for a few seconds knocking over desk, hitting the wall which caused a nose bleed. within seconds his eyes opened and he didn't remember a thing
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He needs MRI head for evaluation of episode

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mrs. XXXX, ,

Good Day to you.

Thanks for your query. I appreciate your concerns.

* In a hypertensive patient, sudden occurrence of an episode of loss of consciousness, can be due to minor bleed in the brain (particularly in case of uncontrolled hypertension); Transient lack of blood supply to the brain (TIA) or a small piece of plaque dislodging from the Carotid Artery (the major artery which supplies blood to the brain) and blocking a small artery in the brain.

* I would therefore recommend that the entire matter with your Neurologist, who will- in all probability- advise MRI of Brain, Doppler flow study of the Carotid Arteries; ECG for any evidence of heart-rate disturbance, and 2-D ECHO of the heart to look for clots if any.

* Please ensure that your husband's blood pressure be under constant control.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal