What could be the reason for spotting while trying to conceive?

Mar 2013
Hi doc my period finished on the 22 of December and it's not been 6 days I have observed some spotting , we are trying for a baby and have regular sex but I am really confused with the spotting do I need to get it chckd please can you advice what can be the problem
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: CONTINUE TRYING, MEANWHILE GET A CONSULT. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. The days correspond with her probable days of ovulation, if she has been having regular cycles. SO it could be mid cycle ovulatory spotting. Spotting after sex can be due to a cervical polyp, erosion or growth on the cervix. However, since this has not happened before, and is only the first time, I do not think this is the reason. Rarely, spotting after a period can indicate a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. What you can do is continue having sex, and trying for a baby. Meanwhile, you should also consult a gynecologist. She should undergo an internal check up - per speculum and per vaginum. Also, a pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally. This will tell you if she is ovulating, or some other pathology is present. All the best. Please feel free to ask further follow up questions. Take care.
Follow-up: What could be the reason for spotting while trying to conceive? 9 minutes later
Yes my periods have been regular , we have been trying for last 2 months , i have not taken contraceptive pills ever , is ther any precaution i should take till the time i dont get myself chkd as can only go to the gyno after 8 th due to vacations here , how many days will this spotting continue anything which we can chk or do to know more ...
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again. If this is ovulatory spotting ( highly likely , given your period dates ) - then this spotting will subside by itself within 1 - 2 days more. You can continue being sexually active. If you feel that the spotting has intensified and become full blown bleeding, you should see a doctor immediately. Otherwise you can definitely wait till the 8th. Meanwhile, at home, just as a precautionary measure, just take a pregnancy test, to rule out a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. If the test is negative, do not worry. Most probably it is ovulatory spotting, and would stop by itself. You can keep me posted meanwhile here on this forum till your doctor is accessible. Wish you luck.
Follow-up: What could be the reason for spotting while trying to conceive? 5 minutes later
Thx very much for your support and information , if we have any other confusion will get back to you , and as suggested will do a pregnency test at home .. Thx once again and wish you and your family a very happy new year regards. XXXX and XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Thank you so much for the appreciation. I would always be reachable if you should have a doubt or question to ask. However, in my opinion, this is mid cycle ovulatory spotting, so you should definitely stay sexually active, as chances of pregnancy would be high at this time. SO do not get scared or anxious. Wish you too a very Happy new Year and all the cheer of the festive season. May you be blessed with motherhood soon !