What could be the reason for painless swelling of both ankles?

Question
HELLO I REFERRED TO CARDIOTHORACIC& VASCULAR SURGEON DUE SWELLING OF MY FEET AND LEGS WHEN I COMPRESSION HOSE THEY DO NOT SWELL OR WHEN I AM BED AT NIGHT I WAS TAKING A WATER PILL BUT STOPPED IT . THE ONLY SWELLING I HAVE IS BOTH ANKLES WITH NO PAIN ?
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Heart Failure

Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your doctor wants to rule out Pulmonary Embolism.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I understand your concern. Painless swelling of both ankles is common symptoms, and as you said you were taking water pills, and you have stopped now, and it disappears when you wear compression socks. So in your view, consulting specialist is not needed.

Your doctor's concern is also right. After surgery for Femoral Neck fracture, there is a chance of blood clots formation in your legs due to prolong rest specially in old age when blood circulation is slow.

Usually as a preventive measure also Doctors give some medicine to prevent these complications. By your history of using water pills, and compression socks,I feel that you had some problem with blood circulation in your arteries and veins. I would say it is a wise decision to see Cardiothoracic and vascular surgeon to rule out any possibility of above complications.

I hope, I have answered your query. You are welcome to ask any further query.
Dr H Hamdani