What could be the reason for pain in the upper left side of abdominal area?

I have pain in the upper left side of my body. It usually feels as if it in is an area as wide as 2 of my fingertips. It is not always painful, but when it is painful, I grimace. Thank you for your consideration of my inquiry. wHAT COULD CAUSE THIS PAIN ? I did say say the pain is in the stomach area. This will affect your diagnosis. XXXXXXX Perrine
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Gall bladder stone or gastritis Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The pain in the left upper quadrant and the kind of localized pain suggest that it could be two diagnosis 1. Gall bladder stone 2. Gastritis Both of them can cause this kind of pain. You may initially take some anti acuds like ranitidine for 8 days and see what is the response to these drugs. During these days take some bland diet and plenty of water. If the symptoms persist then you will have to get a USG abdomen done. This will identify if there are any lesions in the gall bladder. Also it will have alook at your other organs as well. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.