What could be the reason for pain in neck on the right side by throat extending to bottom gums?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pain in my neck on the right side by my throat. I dose not hurt when I swallow, and I do not have tonsils anymore. when I turn to the right it feels like something's getting smashed and it hurts really bad. yesterday the pain hurts up to my bottom gums on that side. when I push on the spot it hurts worse.
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be sprain or spondylosis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain that you describe can be due to following reasons- -Prolapse of disc in cervical spine. -Cervical stenosis or narrowing of holes from where nerves exit. -Cervical spondylsis. -Stress. - Muscle sprain. You should do following to have relief - -At least have an x ray of cervical spine. Best will be to have a MRI of spine. -Wear a cervical collar. This will at least give rest to your strained muscles. -Avoid bending your neck at abnormal position for long time, like on computer. -Do warm water fomentation with help of water bag over your neck. -Take a good analgesic like combination of tramadol with paracetamol. -Take help of a physiotherapist. He will be able to give your relief by intermittent traction, ultrasonic therapy etc. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What could be the reason for pain in neck on the right side by throat extending to bottom gums? 1 hour later
it's not in the muscle. it feels like it's up under my jaw
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be a tooth abscess. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. If the pain starts from under the jaw then an oral cavity related cause like tooth abscess or periodontitis needs to be ruled out after a direct examination. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards