What could be the reason for intermittent bleeding from penis?

I am an 83 year old male, in excedllent conditioin and threedays ago I noticed some blood leaking from my penis. it contiues off anf on in greater quanities of blood... I await the Doctor's email response,,, thanks, XXXX
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hello, Thank you for you query. Detailed Answer: Bleeding from the penis can occur due to following reasons keeping your age in mind: 1. Urinary tract infection 2. Urinary Bladder Cancer 3. Urinary Tuberculosis 4. Local Urethral Damage 5. Due to intake of Beetroot or some Drug tablets that you may be on. You will need to send the urine from microscopy study and culture to rule out any bacterial infection or atypical cells. You may also need to get a Endoscopy done to check for any growths in the bladder. Please do get back to me in case of further queries.
Follow-up: What could be the reason for intermittent bleeding from penis? 46 hours later
Thanks Dr., bleeding has stopped, should it begin agian I will check in with my regular MD. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you very much for your message. Detailed Answer: Yes , you should be getting it checked ideally as your age and the on and off history of bleeding cannot be taken lightly. It would be better to investigate the cause of the prior bleeding history . Thanks and Take care