What could be the reason for high ggt levels in blood tests?

hi i am testing my blood every 3 months .since sx months my ggt went up 90/102/111.. but i have my ggt high since more than 20 years i am eating very healthy not drink at all .. but i am drinking at least 1l of diet coke per day could this be the reason/i have 51 years stents but daily sport swiming 1hour per day under lipitor 80/plavix75/...thanks
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. As you may know, GGT is a marker used to assess mostly liver and biliary function and sometimes pancreatic function as well. Most frequently, elevations in GGT are seen when the liver is exposed to excess toxins, such as that coming from alcohol or particular medicines, which you have not listed. Regarding your daily consumption of Diet Coke, I would address this in regard to your electrolyte and kidney health, and I strongly urge you to increase your water consumption and decrease the Coke. I commend you for exercising daily and for maintaining a healthy diet. I also recommend you bring any new symptoms or change in health to the immediate attention of your doctor, given your history of cardiac disease. Thank you again for submitting your question. Please let me know if I can be of any further help. Dr. G