What could be the reason for having noise in ear?

I have an on and off noise in my right ear like I have water in it. I have not been swimming, but that's what it sounds like! I cannot get any water out.
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: may be tinnnitus Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It is possible that the noise is related to tinnitus. Tinnitus is the perception of sound in the ear. It can be different sounds, one the sounds that can occur is the sound of water in the ear. There are different possible causes of tinnitus. They include: (1) ear infections (2)hearing loss- this is the most common cause (3)meniere's disease (4)side effect of medication such as aspirin, NSAIDS (ibuprofen, cataflam), diuretics such as lasix and some antibiotics (5)nerve damage as a result of multiple sclerosis or head injury (6)metabolic causes such as thyroid disease, vitamin b12 deficiency, high cholesterol In many cases a cause cannot be found. You may need to consult an ENT specialist doctor for assessment. He or she will physically examine the ear and likely conduct hearing tests as well. There are some medications that can be used that have successful for some persons (including amitriptyline, nortriptyline, alprazolam, clonazepam). In addition sound therapy or cognitive behavioural therapy can be used. Sound therapy involves using sounds found in natural settings. I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any additional questions