What could be the reason for having burning sensation on penis after having protected sex?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
6 month s ago I had a sex worker perform oral sex on me with me wearing a condom and I had touched her genitals .no vaginal sex.immediately following which I developed this burning sensation on my pennis which was present for 3 to 4 months .approximately 2 weeks following the encounter while mastuberating I noticed a break in the skin at the junction of the head n shaft of pennis .there wasnt any blister or anything . This ulcer has not fulky healed for the past sixmonths and if I mastuberate it becomes fresh again .at the 6 week mark I had gotten an igg hsv 1 n 2 hiv and vdrl we hich was all negative .can u please guide me as what it can be .
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more clarification Detailed Answer: hi. Thanks for posting at HealthcareMagic. Can you elaborate more on that ulcer so as to be better able to diagnose and manage Is it superficial or deep? its size? It is single or new ones also appear? did it heal anytime in between at all? what are the symptoms? is it painful? burning? was this your only sexual contact or did you had more before or after that? have you taken some medicines? oral or topical? If possible send me clearer pictures (preferably 2-3 pictures). take care regards Dr. kakkar

Follow-up: What could be the reason for having burning sensation on penis after having protected sex? 26 minutes later
Its a single ulcer superficial but the skin adjacent to it is also red ...it does not heal fully ..in the sense anytrauma or rubbing over it nd it becomes raw again .its raw n painful.no sexual contact apart from this one.i had put oint by name megaheal on it .

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems to be a traumatic ulcer Detailed Answer: Hi. thanks for clarifying. Seems most likely to be a traumatic ulcer and unrelated to the sexual encounter. Does'nt fit into any STD I would suggest that you take a course of an oral antibiotic, specially the one from the penicillin group(Amoxycillin+clavulanic acid combination). You can get it prescribed from your local practitioner. Apply a topical antibacterial ointment like 2% mupirocin twice daily. Its available OTC. Refrain from masturbating till it heals completely. Don't make it more traumatic by masturbating for few days. Use just plain water soaked sterile cotton for cleansing and be gentle. Don't use soap, dettol, savlon, spirit or betadine for cleaning. would like to know how it is healing in a week. take care regards

Follow-up: What could be the reason for having burning sensation on penis after having protected sex? 9 hours later
Ok I will do that ..I wanted to know if I needed any more tests for this condition if so whst are thevtests ..just for my satisfaction .

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Repeat HIV, HSV Detailed Answer: The protocol is that HIV needs to be repeated after 3 months of the first test if the first test was done at the time when antibodies to HIV may not have been yet formed against it. The timeframe between when you are exposed to HIV to the time you test positive for HIV antibodies can be up to 3-6 months. Thus repeat testing after 3 months is done to detect HIV in case the patient was in the window period at the time of first test. I would ask you to kindly repeat your HSV ELISA too. I dont think their is any other close differential other than HSV. Keep me updated. take care Dr. kakkar

Follow-up: What could be the reason for having burning sensation on penis after having protected sex? 2 days later
Hi doc... just got back my reports ...hiv negative and igg hsv 1 and 2 also negative .by elisa .this being more than 6 months from exposure ...does this mean I can say I dont have herpes ?? Actually ive stopped using soap to clean the ulcer n it looks much better .

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rules out HIV and Herpes Detailed Answer: Hi. Yes now we can be sure that its not an STD. Apply a topical antibacterial ointment like mupirocin 2% for 5-7 days. Take an oral antibiotic for a week, specially the one from the penicillin group(Amoxycillin+clavulanic acid combination). You can get it prescribed from your local practitioner. regards Dr. kakkar