What could be the reason for getting urine smell?

Sep 2013

I smell urine all the time. I asked my husband and daughter if I smell like it they replied no. I smell it at work at home in my car. Keep cleaning and bleaching to no avail.
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Uraemia, Ketonaeamia or Menopause Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. I would come up with these possibilities for this smell in urine, these includes. 1 Uraemia , diagnosis can be confirmed by examination of serum creatinine and blood urea examination.Ultrasound of both kidneys will be helpful in diagnosis .As I have noted in so many patient that increase level of urea in blood exhibits a peculiar urine smell. 2 Ketonaeamia , diagnosis can be confirmed by measuring the level of bile salt and bile pigment in blood and urine. 3 Anxiety & peri menopause may be the next reason of such peculiar smell. Diagnosis can be confirmed by assessment of estrogen, androgen , FSH/LH ratio in blood. As you were patient of many disease as mentioned in medical history , so kidney involvement can't be rule out. In my opinion get in ultrasound of kidneys as well urine examination with blood . Consult an Urologist and get his opinion. Hope this information will be helpful for you. Further any question I will reply in follow up. Good luck. Dr. HET
Follow-up: What could be the reason for getting urine smell? 9 hours later
MY urine does not smell . I just smell urine. Where ever I go. I asked my family if I myself smell like urine they said no.
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: The above condition needs to be excluded... Detailed Answer: Hello, I understand your concern. Urine smell from the body may be due to one of above mentioned condition. In addition presence of urine incontinence may also cause similar abnormal smell from your body. I suggest my patients to undergo the above mentioned tests to exclude pathologies. Discuss with your local physician. Let me know if you need clarifications. Dr.HET