What could be the reason for extreme pain and popping of bones caused by an injury

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell on ice 5 days ago and hit left side on the edge of a large plantar. Have had xrays and ct scans show no fracture but have extreme pain and now feel movement of bones at waist level popping in and out could this still be a fracture.
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Not due to fracture. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Since your X-ray and CT scan report is normal the fracture is ruled out. The extreme pain and popping of bones could be due to a soft tissue injury in the area. If there is no sharp pain on standing and walking then a fracture is not likely. The pain could be due to blunt trauma to the bone or soft tissue around it leading to break in capillary blood vessels which in turn give rise to haematoma (internal bleeding and clot). Rest assured it will subside in a week more. All you have to do now is to allow it to rest. Use anti inflammatory medications prescribed by your physician for few days. Try not to get in extreme positions unless required. Occasional hot fomentation is recommended. In case, It does not subside on its own or it is associated with severe pain, and swelling around the area, it could indicate a tear of one of the muscle fibres. In that case, you might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order a MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL