What could be the reason for experiencing incontinence like uncontrollable urge to urinate and night accidents?

Urologist
Question
I have had incontinence for about 10 years. It can be a sudden uncontrollable urge that comes from nowhere, a feeling of a need to pass urine & there is nothing there. Usually not on coughing or sneezing. I always have accidents at night (& sometimes during the day). I get up each night between 6 - 10 times & it is always an uncontrolled urge. I have kept a 24 hour diary of liquid intake ( 8 cups per day consisting of coffee, tea (all decaffinate) & water. I passed urine in the same timeframe 17 times. I also kept a record of the quantity passed during the same period. It was 7 and one half cups. I would be grateful of any advice you have. My medications are - atorvastatin, cilazaptil, metopropol, aspirin, indapamide hemihydrate. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 days later
Brief Answer: CURABLE------------------------------------------- Detailed Answer: Welcome back. You fall into a category of bladder disorder called OVERACTIVE BLADDER. This is not a bad or un-treatable disease. It is just that the bladder is little more sensitive to water ( urine) filling and wants to empty, little earlier than usual. This is common among women, especially in the elderly age group. To start with, you need to be examined physically and evaluated to rule out bladder stone or urinary tract infection. If the above are ruled out, anti-cholinergics( tablets) for a period of three to six months would be CURATIVE. Also try to restrict any fluid intake after 6 pm to reduce the night urine output. When you have appointment with your GP next time, kindly discuss with him if Indapamide can be changed as it has diuretic ( frequency and more urine output) action. Hope this helps, Kindly get back for doubts that you might have, Truly, Dr G Srinivasan

Follow-up: What could be the reason for experiencing incontinence like uncontrollable urge to urinate and night accidents? 11 hours later
Thank you. I will be in touch

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: welcome.

Follow-up: What could be the reason for experiencing incontinence like uncontrollable urge to urinate and night accidents? 3 days later
my doctor has put me on 1 tablet ofoxybutynin chloride per day, take at night. the prescription is for 1 month with 1 months renewal. is that likely to help, and is it unsafe to take it longer then 60 days? started last night. Thanks

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gold standard------------------------------------- Detailed Answer: Welcome back. Oxybutynin was the first medicine approved for the use of OAB. It has been in use since 1980 s. It looks like your physician wants to follow a step-wise fashion, starting with the gold standard medicine and change if necessary. That's fine. It should help you. It is safe, but if it does not benefit you, then it should be changed. Probably that is the reason for review at 2 months. Get well soon--- Truly,