What could be the reason for excessive bleeding and foul odor in the menstrual blood?

I have been having issues with my menstral cycle i bleed for 2 months last cycle doc put me on provera six weeks into bleeding and i stll bleed for about 3 weeks i am also on XXXXXXX 100mg a day and metformin 1400 a day this cycle i have been bleeding 9 days so far and my blood smells like a dead rat i jist had a pap last month everythimg was ok can yoi tell me what may be causing this oder?
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The foul odor in the menstrual blood is suggestive of an infection. A vaginal swab culture will help in diagnosing the exact type of infection you are having. Avoid using tampons and change your pads frequently to avoid any further complications. The excessive bleeding that you have can be due to -Female hormone imbalance, -Uterine fibroids, -Disorders of the uterine lining, -Uterine,ovarian or cervical cancer, -Hypothyroidism, -Endometrial hyperplasia, -Dysfunctional uterine bleeding, to name a few. In your case it is more likely that the bleeding is due to Ovarian cyst, fibroids and endometrial hyperplasia(increased thickness of endometrial lining). Proper investigations will help in pin pointing the diagnosis. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What could be the reason for excessive bleeding and foul odor in the menstrual blood? 2 hours later
It happend at the end of the last period as well and now this one but there isnt a foul oder between cycle is that normal
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to tampon use. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. If there is no foul odor between the cycles then a persistent infection is not likely. It can happen with Tampon use. It is best to get a vaginal swab culture done to rule out the infection. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards