What could be the reason for dull ache and neck fatigue after lifting weight?

Hi.... I am a former professional athlete who weight trained often. I retired in 2008 and now have two kids. I didnt not weight trained for about 4 years. I started back about 6 months ago. Early on everything was fine. Now 1-2 days after i lift i have a dull ache and fatigue at the base of my skull/upper neck area. The ache makes me feel dizzy, but i am not dizzy... makes me feel foggy and lightheaded.....This happens only 1-2 days after i lift..... And goes away gradually over the course of several days. In the last month i have had an abscessed tooth and ear infection and have been on amox and klavox for both. Dont know if these infections are related.... My question is what could be causing the dull ache and neck fatigue? Could the infections have spread and causing nerve/head/neck problems?
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. First of all I would like to clear that tooth abscess or ear infection and their treatment by antibiotics has no connection with your pain at base of neck. As far as your pain at the base of neck is concerned,it doesn't appear to be due to any nerve or disc related problem,since your problems go away after some time and there are no complaints of tingling and numbness. The most likely cause for your pain and fatigue at the base of neck is due to muscle strain and stiffness at the base of neck.Lightheadedness and foggy feeling looks to be due to some element of cervical spondylitis in your neck,which gets aggravated by lifting of weights. There could be many reasons for stiffness and pain like wrong posture of spine or head,not properly stretching before doing exercises,lifting excess of weights etc. As the age advances,the element of cervical spondylitis also creeps in gradually. The best for you would be to stop lifting weights for few weeks and consult a physiotherapist,who can help in relieving the stiffness by massaging,local heat etc. and advising you the proper way to restart your exercises and professionally guiding you so that you are able to do exercises without injuring yourself. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: What could be the reason for dull ache and neck fatigue after lifting weight? 6 hours later
Is there anything i can take for it OTC?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 10 hours later
Hello, Although the best treatment for you would be local heat,you may take an anti inflammatory medicine like ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for 7-10 days,in addition. Thanks