What could be the reason for dizziness followed by slight headache?

Hi Doctor, My younger sister complains of dizziness when she thinks about some old memory. EX: if she is watching Tv she sees a kitten on it. if she tries to recollect something from the past ( memory about a kitten) she feels dizzy (Lightheadedness) & a slight headache follows. What could be the reason ? please help.
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be organic or stress, need more detail Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, Welcome to HCM! After reading your question carefully, I found that you are concerned about your sister and I really appreciate the effort. you gave an example-- that she sees a kitten while watching TV and that is she tries to recollect something from the past she get headache. The second part of the question, i.e., remembering the past & getting head ache, or becoming uneasy while remembering some past event, is frequently seen in trauma cases or under stressful situations. So, I need to know the following. Has she been under any stress? You have not commented anything about the patient's medical co morbidity or any drugs which she might be on, or any head injury?? In addition, I would like to know the duration of her symptoms. Apart from these symptoms, does she have any kind of mood problem other parts of the day, like if she remains sad/anxious/ irritable/ happy otherwise? I would also like to know her predominant mood to get to the root of problem. The first part of the question, that is she seeing a kitten is reflective of either- some kind of visual hallucination or may be due to organic brain factor. To rule out organicity we need a Scan of brain, possibly MRI. (Especially when such symptoms emerge suddenly and patient was ok prior to them). If here are other psychiatric symptoms like, talking irrelevantly, muttering to self, or aggression or withdrawal behavior, then it can be related to psychosis. Therefore, in order to tell anything clearly, the above-mentioned details are required. I do not think that it is something rare, patient usually reports what they feels is important, but in order to diagnose a disorder, doctor needs different information. Hope you understand that more details are necessary before commenting on her status Feel free to ask more question and kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied Dr. Manisha Gopal