What could be the reason for cough, shortness of breath and what is the treatment for back pain?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
I've had cough for some time. At first I used to cough only when I lie down and about to slip into sleep. now it's bad...I cough all the time, I have cold for almost a month now that doesn't seem to end and I've mucus coming out of both my throat and nose. It's bad especially in the morning. I've used Benadryl that relieved this condition a little and then used Benadryl CS which now seem to be causing pain in my throat. I do experience pain when I swallow and for some reason if I don't use Benadryl CS, I seem to feel fine! Please do note that I'm almost always in relatively colder environments with AC at work, in car and at home (except winters). Right now Hyderabad winter is tough as it is. I do smoke and recently started reducing. On my way to quitting cigarettes but right now substituting few with Nicorette. Plan is to slowly move completely to Nicorette and move away from even that eventually. I don't experience shortness of breath. Can climb stairs easily and when I do, I do experience very little fatigue that you usually see in anyone with a heavy body. Clearly my lungs may not be in best shape but I don't believe they're anywhere close to showing Bronchiolitis symptoms which I know from 2 Asthma patients in my in-laws and 2 very young kids who have suffered Bronchiolitis. That said, I need this cough and cold gone once and for all. I do doubt I'm badly in need of some medication along with antibiotic/s. But that's my limited knowledge, you're the expert. I've started exercises and food routine to get back in shape. I'm currently little overweight for my height and have a need to lose at least 10 Kgs to be 'on dot' on BMI. Please do advise as to how far I could stretch my body in these exercises as well, given I did smoke for about 20 years now @ about 7-10 cigarettes a day and had a very inactive life for past decade mostly to do with a lower back pain crippling my ability to be active along with stressful job that I work sitting at my desk, all totaling to my overweight situation. Many thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need to have a complete check up for cough. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting your query in XXXXXXX You have had cough for some time now and it`s time you did some thing about it. Any cough lasting for more than 2 weeks should not be ignored and investigated to arrive at a diagnosis. You have not mentioned if you have any fever with cough esp low grade towards evening. Is the cough dry or there is phlegm in it and if yes, what is the colour and is it blood tinged any time? Do you suffer from any acidity or reflux oesophagitis? Your cough seems to be due to bronchitis that you could be developing because of smoking. You need to have a complete check up which should include at least a routine blood test, a chest x ray and a PFT. Based on these reports further course of action can be decided. In the mean while i suggest you stop smoking completely. Take a montair lc tablet, a pan 40 tablet and use inhalers like serflo or aerocort after consulting your physician or pulmonologist. You may also consult an ENT specialist. To control your weight, it`s simple- you have to expand more calories than you take by managing your diet and exercise schedule.

Follow-up: What could be the reason for cough, shortness of breath and what is the treatment for back pain? 15 minutes later
Dear Doctor, Thanks for the response. Yes I'll consult a Pulmonologist - have an appointment for tomorrow. Meanwhile, answers to your points below: You have not mentioned if you have any fever with cough esp low grade towards evening. Is the cough dry or there is phlegm in it and if yes, what is the colour and is it blood tinged any time? - No fever ever, phlegm is there but it's mostly while or brown sometimes. never blood tinged. Do you suffer from any acidity or reflux oesophagitis? - Never experienced it. Not even due to festive eating and I do eat lot of spicy stuff too. In the mean while i suggest you stop smoking completely. (- Agreed)Take a montair lc tablet, a pan 40 tablet and use inhalers like serflo or aerocort after consulting your physician or pulmonologist. You may also consult an ENT specialist. - I'll consult a Pulmonologist. Is it your advise to meanwhile I use montair lc tablet and pan 40 tablet? If so frequency in 24 hours please? and from your statement above I understand use of inhaler is a decision I should take after I meet a pulmonologist?

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Start treatment after consulting pulmonologist. Detailed Answer: Since you are consulting a pulmonologist to marrow, it`s better you start your treatment after that. I`m sure he will also advise you to undergo some investigations, hence start the treatment in consultation with your pulmonologist. Both the tablets are taken once a day. Pan 40, 20 minutes before breakfast and montair lc at night. Take care.