What could be the reason for brown mucus discharge from rectum?

Apr 2014

I've been experiencing bouts of a brown mucusy discharge from my rectum. Sometimes my rectum burns, and sometimes it itches. I don't have any stomach pain..
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Discharge is due to many reasons.Need evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Rectal discharge may be due to may reasons. You need proper clinical examination and investigations.First,You need digital anal examination and further investigations can be done if needed. Mucus discharge may be due to excessive mucus production in sphincter defects, or lesions that prevents normal sphincter closure.It may also be due to bacterial overgrowth or generalized infection in colon and rectum. Other causes like hemorrhoids,fissure,prolapse,STD,mass in colon and rectum etc should also be evaluated. So,you should consult gastroenterologist.Treatment depends upon the cause. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX