What could be the reason for acute weariness and lymph node pain in armpit?

My wife is 64, generally in excellent health, active, non smoker, eats wisely. A week ago she was overtaken by a feeling of acute weariness and pain in the lymph nodes in her armpits. She is still very tired and in pain. Echography showed slight swelling of nodes in the armpit but no growths. Do you have any idea what it might be. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Swollen,painful lympth nodes are due to infection Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Firstly, to help you in understanding the cause of your problem better, you need to know that Lymph nodes are part of an accessory circulatory system, called Lymphatic System. The fluid flowing in this circulatory system is called Lymph. Each group of lymph nodes receive lymph from a specified area (called "catchment area" or dependent area) of the body. Lymph nodes in an armpit receive lymph from the arm, chest, breast and other dependent areas of the same side. In case of any acute infection caused by bacteria or other organisms, in the dependent area (chest, arm, breast and other dependent areas), the infectious material and causative organisms are carried by lymph to the corresponding lymph nodes located in the armpit. The lymph nodes face the brunt by trapping the organisms and preventing their spread to other part of the body. As a result, they enlarge and become painful. Hence, in your case, the enlarged painful lymph nodes are due to an infection by bacteria or other organism, in the dependent areas. You will therefore need to undergo relevant tests to detect acute infection of the dependent parts of the body (arms, chest, lungs, breasts). Treatment of the underlying infection with appropriate antibiotics or anti-microbial drugs (as the case may be) and supportive treatment, will also heal the affected lymph nodes in the armpits. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What could be the reason for acute weariness and lymph node pain in armpit? 20 minutes later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: you're welcome Detailed Answer: You are ALWAYS welcome to ask your query directly from me in future.