What could be the reason for a metallic taste in the mouth?

I have a very weird metallic taste in my mouth and I also have a strange clenching of the jaw and also a really wierd sense when i tough or feels things it is almost making my blood run cold.. like fingernails on a blackboard..any thought
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Metallic taste is caused by caused by anaerobic bacteria that live within our bodies. These bacteria can grow in number very quickly when given the right environment or food source thus causing a bad taste in mouth. It can be due to dental caries, gastro-esophageal reflux disease, medications like antibiotics, vitamins and antidepressants, poor oral hygiene etc.

Are you taking any antibiotics like metronidazole or tinidazole?

Regarding the clenching of jaw, temporo mandibular joint disorder should be evaluated which is an acute or chronic inflammation of the temporomandibular joint, which connects the mandible to the skull. It can cause clicking, popping, or grating sound when opening or closing the mouth.

I suggest you to get an examination done from a dentist and get dental caries, TMJ disorder and GERD ruled out.

Till then, you can fight against the metallic taste by having citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar. They not only break through the taste, but also help in saliva production that helps in washing away the metallic taste.

Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also. It will help in lessening the metallic taste. You can use some oral mouthwashes also. This should help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.