What could be the reason behind chronic cough?

HI Dr I have been coughing for two months .blood test and xray done.All normal.Dr has doubt that I have refux and suggested for endoscopy .I need to do endoscopy in dec 10 th.yesterday I got a gland under my chin which is hurting.No fever.I have thyroid .I take medicine for thyroid.Theseday I have been asked to take nexium 40 mg daily.I am taking this medicine for last 20 da Pls suggest. Thank you
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Go for spirometry and sputum examination Detailed Answer: HI, Thanks for your query. Chronc cough (which lasts greater than 8 weeks) has got several reasons. Excluding TB in India, one may have asthma, eosinophilic bronchitis, reflux, post nasal drip, or those who are on antihyprtensive medication like ramipril. You must go for sputum examination to rule out TB first. As you are taking nexium for last 20 days, cough due to reflux must have decreased in intensity. What I feel is you must go for a simple breathing test called spirometry with reversibility to look for airway constriction. In the meantime you may take an inhaled bronchodilator like levosalbutamol/beclomethasone combination along with antihistaminic like cetrizne and see their effect. If cough relieves probably you have reactive airway disease like asthma. ... Best wishes