What could be the possible cause of sore tummy, mild fever, dry cough and runny nose in 2.5 year old ?

Hi, My daughter is 2.5 years old and she has been complaining about a sore tummy, has a mild fever and a bad dry barking cough that she has had for about 2,3 weeks. She goes to Childcare 2x a week and I always associate that her cough and runny nose wont leave her because she keeps getting it from other kids.She hasn't been eating properly either, should i take her to the doctors?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

In a child of 2 and a half years, dry cough without any expectoration is usually viral in origin and usually does not need any antibiotic. If there is some expectoration then the throat secretions are ingested by the child further causing intestinal infection, pain abdomen and diarrhea.

The other probabilities producing similar symptoms are Bacterial infection producing Bronchitis or pneumonia.

It would be better to get her examined by a paediatrician as depending on the cause the treatment is required. Few investigations like chest X XXXXXXX gastric lavage would be asked.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.