What could be the paining sore lump above the anus ?

I noticed yesterday morning a sore lump about the size of a peanut above the opening of my anus. It feels a little like a very firm blister but it doesn't itch, like a hemorrhoid is supposed to, which is what I initially thought it was. I also haven't experienced any severe diarrhea or constipation recently. I have mild to moderate pain/soreness in the area which seems to have slightly increased in the past 24 hours. What could this be and how can I treat it?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 53 minutes later
Hi ,

The cause for the peanut size lump above the opening of the anus which is increasing in size could be because of :
1)Pilonidal sinus which is of infective origin caused by the irritation of the skin by the hair.
2)Anal polyp.
4)A simple cyst.

The above possibilities can be ruled out by the Clinical examination So it would be better to see your GP for the same.

About the treatment options for the above conditions are simple surgical procedures which will completely cure you of the disease, you can discuss with your doctor of treatment options once the Diagnosis is made.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: What could be the paining sore lump above the anus ? 29 minutes later
I'm trying to avoid seeing a doctor as this is an embarrassing problem and don't have insurance, unless the pain increases/doesn't improve or I develop a fever. I think I may also have a UTI, I've had cloudy strong smelling urine for several weeks now, and in the past week a little fishy smelling discharge that looks like BV (I've had it twice before in the past 2 years.) I'm prone to UTIs and BV/yeast infections but none of my symptoms are especially aggressive and I haven't been sexually active in over a month. Could this have contributed to my current problem?
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 27 minutes later
Hi Again ,

Genitourinary infections don't contribute to the lump that we had earlier discussed.

Currently the size of the lump is not concerning. You can consider wait and watch.
However, if the size of the lump increases, then per rectal examination is entailed.

You need not be embarrassed. It isn't an uncommon clinical condition among young adults.

As far as bacterial vaginosis and good health!!