What could be the interpretation of my HIV test report?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have confused because my doctor say my virus load hiv pcr rna result less than 20 copy is negative after 8 month exposer but I do not understand :(1)means I not infected hiv ,(2) the test was not good accurate .I also did hiv antibody negative too.can you help me . thank
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: HIV negative- see setails below Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the interpretation of results of HIV RNA-PCR and antibodies in addition. I first of all want to reassure you that you are not at all suffering form HIV, so just relax first. Let me simplify the things- HIV infection can be analyzed by two ways - -By HIV virus detection: done by RNA- PCR. It tells us the number of copies of virus present in per ml of blood. The special machines to detect the virus has the capacity to detect a particular number of copies of virus, say for some machines can detect more than 50 copies and some machines can detect even up to 20 copies also. But whenever the result is given we consider less than 50 or 20 copies as negative results. But we can not write as negative as there are some very very rare incidences when the patients were on anti-retroviral drugs which caused less than 50 or 20 number of viruses per ml of blood and so undetectable level. Therefore the result is never written a negative and is always written as less than 20 copies or 50 copies( because of legal issues). In this case the HIV antibody test is of most help. The antibodies to HIV virus persist throughout life. The cut off value for antibodies to HIV virus is time of 3 months and in some cases 6 months to be more safer. Correlating all these facts: your number of copies are less than 20 - it means undetectable virus ( which actually means negative). To further confirm it is by HIV antibody test at 8 months (way beyond the limit of 6 months) is negative. So just relax and relieve all your stress regarding the issue. I hope these information will help you. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer. "Just enjoy the weekend and the forthcoming new year ahead with best of health and wealth" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)

Follow-up: What could be the interpretation of my HIV test report? 27 minutes later
Thank so much your answer .can you say more clear .means I 100% negative or I already infected with hiv but till waiting for the test can detected virus? Thank doctor.happy new year to you !

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: 100 % HIV negative Detailed Answer: Hi young lady, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your swift follow up. Based on the reports which you have told I can say very boldly that you are 100 % HIV negative. There are no further tests required and no need to worry at all!!! Do give me ratings and review for my suggestions. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)

Follow-up: What could be the interpretation of my HIV test report? 14 minutes later
Hi Doctor you know your answer very marks with infected disease doctor department in kaiser permanent .because I have totally 8 test antibody in 8 month .and all is negative .my doctor say "no need test in future " but I can not relax because some one say need 2 year .How about that ! So care for waits.thank doctor

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 10 hours later
Brief Answer: NO HIV; JUST RELAX Detailed Answer: Hi young lady, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your follow up. I am reassuring you again totally that based on the reports which you have told you do not have HIV at all. I can understand your great concern and that is why I am elaborating the whole thing to you. The protocol of the tests done for HIV is as follows: One HIV antibody test at 6 weeks and then a follow up test at 3 months. At the maximum in rarest of rare chance it is repeated on the basis of clinical grounds only at 6 months if required. Antibodies once formed to HIV can never disappear. So if a person has HIV infection only 3 months of period is the time when we say to be fully sure of whether HIV is present or not. Your antibody tests monthly do not make any sense and even then you can see all the tests came back negative. Truth is truth whether asked or repeated multiple times and in your case the truth is that you are cent percent crystal clear and do not have HIV infection at all. There are no further tests required and so do not to worry at all. IN future course of time do not forget to use the best protection in form of condoms for safer sex. I hope these information will help you. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer. "Just enjoy the weekend and the forthcoming new year ahead with best of health and wealth" happy new year to you again. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)