What could be the effects of tumor in pituitary gland. Black outs and memory loss?

what is the side effects of having a tumor in the patuitary glade. could it cause black outs and lose of memory during this time/
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 4 hours later

A tumor in Pituitary can cause the following effects

1. Visual problem- it can cause what is known as hemianopia ie you might loose your peripheral vision. This is an indication for surgery.

2. Hormonal problem

This would depend on what type of hormone is being secreted by your Pituitary. it can lead to excess or prolactin, growth hormone , ACTH or thyroid hormone. If the tumor does not secrete any hormone it can cause reduced level of all these hormones apart from raise prolactin because of Pitutary stalk compression

3. Headache- I have observed this to be quite common in my patients.

Black outs can occur in rare condition if there is a bleed in the tumor. Otherwise blackouts and memory loss are not reported. However hormonal changes can cause these symptoms

I would advise you to consult your doctor and get done a anterior pituitary hormone profile

Hope this helps

Dr. Om Lakhani.