What could be the cause of twitching sensation behind ear?

I have been experiencing a twitching sensation behind the left ear. It doesn't hurt, but it is annoying. I am not exactly sure what is going on. It doesn't hurt, but I am a little concerned about it. From what I am seeing online, a lot of people suffer from this. What are your thoughts?
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Muscle spasm Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. Our heads are covered by several muscles, that extend behind the ears and neck; most of these are skeletal muscles and voluntary, but at times, they can present with involuntary muscle spasms, or twitching; typical precipitants are sleep deprivation, stress, illness, etc. For the most part, benign and not to be worried about. Hope that helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: What could be the cause of twitching sensation behind ear? 12 minutes later
Thanks for your response, I have been a little stressed lately due to my job in the IT field. I also noticed that I have not been getting a good night sleep. I wake up after about 4 hours or so. I used to think it was because of the pinched nerve, but I have been working out and that seems to be helping the pinched nerve. I will try to get more rest, but what do you suggest I do to get a better night sleep. If this will help with the muscle spasm, I will do it.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Exercise, warm shower and stretching Detailed Answer: Probably a great combination for you, since you probably spend many hours sitting in front of the monitor and on the phone, is to establish a regular aerobic exercise program, most days of the week, at least 15-30 minute sessions; prior to sleeping, a warm shower, followed by stretching exercises in a carpet will likely improve your sleep quality best regards
Follow-up: What could be the cause of twitching sensation behind ear? 7 minutes later
Thanks, and this is my last question. As far as the pinched nerve how long should that take to heal. I went to a chiropractor for a year. People tell me all the time that I shouldn't still be having issues. Is this this case? Others say that exercise should help, which I think that it is, and will help me with the sleeping and twitching behind my ear based on the feedback I am getting from you. What are your thoughts? should I just wait it out for it to heal and get more rest, or should I try another chiropractor. Thanks again for your help.
Brief Answer: Exercise and chiropractor Detailed Answer: Sure. Inactivity is probably your enemy; physical activity and specific exercises are key and chiropractors can be good coaches to instruct you on posture, exercises, etc; after a while, if you are disciplined you can do most of those at home. Many people also find relief in acupuncture, a well-documented healing technique for pinched nerves (tried it myself). Truly yours Dr Brenes Salazar MD