What could be the cause of torn epiglottis. Is this serious?

My son just found out his epiglottis is torn and was told he needs to see a specialist within the next 2 days. What can cause this and how serious is it?
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

It is very unusual for the epiglottis to tear. There is nothing to worry. If it was worrisome then the doctor would have asked him to see an ENT specialist immediately.

The tear could have been caused by an injury to the neck which is not the case with your son. The other possible reason could be some sharp food item lacerating the epiglottis while swallowing but there should have been pain.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications.

Wishing your son all the best...

P.S.: In case you intend closing the query then please do rate it.