What could be the cause of tiny, smooth and squishy lump underneath the skin on hand, with asthma, IBS and GERD ?

Noticed a tiny roundish, smooth, not hard and somewhat squishy lump about 3 mm in size that is freely movable just underneath the skin on the top of my hand. I can move it around (at least an inch in any direction) between the 2nd and 4th metacarpals and it will sometimes disappear between the metacarpals. Pressing on it does cause a bit of pain. Strangest thing I've seen. Any ideas? I have asthma, irritable bowel & GERD.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
From the description that you have given it seems to be a ganglion cyst.
A ganglion cyst is a tumor or swelling on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon (tissue that connects muscle to bone). It looks like a sac of liquid (cyst). Inside the cyst is a thick, sticky, clear, colorless, jellylike material. If there is constant pain it means it has got infected.
In many people it disappears on its own without any treatment. The treatment options include- aspiration of the cyst fluid with needle, steroid injections, surgical removal.
You can discuss all these options with your orthopaedician and get it treated.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.