What could be the cause of tight constricting feeling with swelling in the calf?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have tight constriction & redness in my lower leg and ankle and swelling above that in my calf (right). Blood clots and vein problems have been ruled out by ultrasound. Have been diagnosed with tarsal tunnel syndrome but this seems extreme. It is not just a feeling of constriction - it is actual tightness & constriction.
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
The tight constricting feeling with swelling in the calf could be due to-
1.A vascular problem- The pain may be caused by claudication caused by peripheral arterial disease (PAD), narrowing of the arteries that carry blood to your leg muscles.
2.Peripheral neuropathy- This can occur from direct nerve irritation or from a medical illness like diabetes, thyroid imbalance, etc.Chronic illnesses like alcoholism, cancer, and vitamin deficiencies may also result in nerve pain that often affects both legs. There are some illnesses that cause leg weakness that may be associated with complaints of leg pain, like Guillain-Barré syndrome and multiple sclerosis.
3. Muscle pain: Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain of an infection.
4. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked.
All the above causes can be ruled out by your physician after some tests and examination.
The tarsal tunnel syndrome is less likely to cause the feeling of constriction.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.