What could be the cause of temporary impairment in both ears later improving to hearing sounds as echos ?

I was ok until Sunday when I started losing hearing in both of my ears. I am able to hear out of my right ear now. In the left ear I can not hear anything. I went to see my primary doctor today and was told there was no infection, fluid, or earwax. My doctor told me that I had a foggy eardrum. I did a hearing vibration test and completely failed on the left ear (passed 1 out of 6). However this evening when my cat was meowing I started hearing it in an echo like a stereo.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

What you are having is unilateral hearing loss or single sided deafness.

Apart from infection, fluid, ear wax; there are many other causes of hearing loss as well. It can be due to physical trauma, Acoustic neuroma, Measles, Meningitis, Neurological conditions or Ménière's disease.

Basically there are three types of hearing loss: conductive, sensorineural and mixed.

You need to get a complete ENT examination done for all these conditions.

Moreover the hearing vibration test has come out abnormal. What is exactly causing such symptoms in your case can be confirmed only after ENT examination, Auditory Brain stem response (ABR), a computerized test of the hearing nerves and brain pathways and CT/MRI brain.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.