What could be the cause of swelling in both parotid glands ?

Question
I am 50 years old, 5ft-10in, 220lbs. Both paratid glands have been swelling for a month, I XXXXXXX t have the mumps or mono, a ultrasound revealed no masses. I take amatriptilyn to sleep, and have been drinking a lot of beer.I have no other symptoms.What may be causing this.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 33 minutes later

Parotid gland swelling can be caused by viral, bacterial and autoimmune disease.

As you say that mumps or mononucleosis is ruled out it can be a bacterial infection secondary to obstruction of the duct anywhere from its beginning to the site of opening above the 2nd molar teeth.

The treatment will depend on the cause of obstruction- stones, strictures, inflammation etc. and the bacterial infection can be taken care with an antibiotic course.

If it is an autoimmune cause it has to be established and then only the correct treatment can be started.

Sometimes it is largely associated with heavy intake of alcohol which precipitates the swelling of parotid and also pancreas mainly. so the cause is to established by a physician and appropriate treatment has to be taken.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Feel free to write to me for any other query you have.

Regards.