What could be the cause of sudden painless bump on scrotum ?

I'm 41, 5'11 and healthy. Last night as I went to bed I noticed a bump on my Scrotum (not testicles) that had not been there a few days before. I'm in no pain and the size varies. It feels like a bee-bee.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Prior to any discussion - do you think you might be at risk for a sexually transmitted disease? This would include protected or unprotected sex with anyone in the last couple of weeks.

I don't think this is an STD but it is a question I am obliged to ask nonetheless. I hope you can understand.

The most likely cause of this is an inflamed or infected hair follicle. These can occur spontaneously but tend to occur moreso in men who shave or pluck hair from the scrotum.

I recommend you do not disturb or squeeze the area for the time being. You can take some warm soaks in the bathtub in the night for the next few days as well to help alleviate some of the inflammation. If it feels like a small bee-bee under the skin I think this is what is going on.

The other possibility if the area in question felt rough and was on the surface of the skin would be a wart. Warts are caused by a viral infection - typically through intimate contact. Again I think this is unlikely.

I thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you found my answer to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga