What could be the cause of sudden appearance of bruises on abdomen?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I woke up this morning with 7 small perflectly round bruises on my lower left abdomen. I didn't hit anything. There is no pain. What could have caused thi
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Platelet or coagulation related disorder. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Appearance of spontaneous (without any history of trauma) bruises on abdominal wall can be due to disorder of platelets or disorder of coagulation factors. What is the size of the bruises? If they are small pin-point then disorder of platelets. If they are large sized and irregular, disorder of coagulation factors is suspected. You need to consult your hematologist for clinical examination, investigations which includes hemogram, platelet indices and coagulation tests. If you have more queries, i will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja p Wahal