What could be the cause of sensation of lump in throat prior to and post Nissen fundoplication surgery ?

I had suffered from GERD from november 2010 to may 2011. I went into surgery ( Nissen fundoplication ) on XXXXXXX 5th. Before surgery i started to feel like if something was stucked on my throat, thats when i decided to proceed with the surgery. After surgery that feeling of a lump being stucked finished. I had a 103F fever after surgery. I was treated with one dose of rocephin. 4 days passed and i started to feel a lump, 3 days passed and i developed alot of XXXXXXX phlegms and coughing really bad.
I didnt take any antibiotics and the phlegms and the coughing disappeared 1 week after, but the feeling of having something stucked persisted.
I went to my doctor 2 times after and explained everything and he said it was a might be a candida infection, but i have taken 2 pills of Fluconazole and no minimal change. Now my thoath is starting to feel a little sore and i still have the feeling of having something stucked and is increasing... im desperate.. Also i went through a barium swallow test and other doctor XXXXXXX that the surgery was a success, i really dont know if i have a bacteria, viral or yeast infection or i still have GERD or even developing throat cancer.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 16 hours later

Feeling of an uncomfortable sensation in the throat after the nissen fundoplication could be due to
1) The trauma of intubation - tube placed during surgery; gradually improves
2) Throat infection - bacterial or fungal; will require atleast 5-7 days of therapy - more likely as you had yellow phlegmn also.
3) After fundoplication some people feel it difficult to burp and sometimes even to swallow - may sometimes felt as throat discomfort and is due to a tight wrap
4) Persistent reflux due a loose wrap - unlikely as you say the barium swallow was normal

Throat cancer does not develop so fast, hence rest assured as you might also have had a endoscopy preoperatively.

Discuss with your GI to give you a course of prokinetic and PPI with an optional antibiotic according to the cause.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.