What could be the cause of persistent pain in left pectoral and numbness in left arm ?

I've been having pain on my left pectoral for quite a few months now and is getting worst and my left arm is getting numb at the same time. I do practice martial arts that there is a possibility that I pull it in the wrong way, but I do too have a family history of cardiac problems. Can you tell me what It could be or do I have to go running to the ER and seek for treatment.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 7 hours later
Hi Nayda,

Thanks for query.

Pain in the left pectoral region over few months and gradually worsening and associated with numbness in the left arm is less likely of cardiac cause ,but you said that you have family history of cardiac problems.This warrants you to undergo a detailed cardiac evaluation and doing ECG which will eventually detects any abnormality.The pain of cardiac causes( Angina, MI) is acute and feels like chest tightness associated with breathlessness, sweating, nausea.

The pain seems to be continuous with numbness and it is over few months and has you mentioned you are practicing martial arts it is possible that you might have strained nerves which runs beneath the muscles.

It will be good if you see a doctor so that you are evaluated for cardiac cause and meanwhile you can take analgesics like Ibuprofen 400mg after food whenever the pain is more.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.