What could be the cause of persistent cough since 6 months, body pain and nausea in mornings?

I have a cough since last 6 months , specially in the morning i feel vomiting, and i have headeak throught a day , body pain and neck pain also. Feeling tired throughout a day not even to wish to do some work.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later
Hello Parthasarathi,

It seems that your long standing cough could be due to bronchitis.

The main symptoms here are dry, cough in paroxysms which persist for a long variable time frame. It is important to know that Antibiotics do not work for this condition.

Some measures that can help you include :
1. OTC antihistamines like benadryl will help here

2. Cough can be controlled with Cough suppressants, lozenges, etc.

3. In case the symptoms are very severe, your doctor can prescribe you inhaled or oral steroid drugs.

Additional tips to Soothen the Throat to reduce cough:
1. Drink enough fluids,
2. Avoid alcohol and smoking.
3. Rest your voice.
4. Gargle with warm salt water several times a day.
5. Suck on throat lozenges or hard candies.
6. Take a pain reliever, such as ibuprofen or aspirin.
7. Use medicated throat sprays.

Conditions such as deviated nasal septum, tonsillitis, ear infections, chronic sinusitis have to be screened for and treated. If not the chances of persistant cough may arise.

You may consider to consult your doctor for an examination, which can rule out the above predisposing conditions. He might also get tests including Chest Xray or a CT scan just to rule out any other causes, if needed.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.