What could be the cause of painful small dark lump on the side of anus and how can it be treated ?

small dark lump on side of anus that hurts. 3months ago i had to visit med center at work because i could not walk without pain. I was told it was a cyst, and given anti biotics which took the swelling down. But i am now left with this small lump that can be painful. is this still the effects of the cyst.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 31 minutes later

From the symptoms that you have described, three possibilities are coming to my mind which need to be evaluated. These include:
1) Cyst
2) Hemorrhoids / piles especially external piles
3) wart or benign skin growth

Chances of this lump being due to hemorrhoid are maximum. First of all lifestyle measures need to be incorporated. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Just make sure to increase your fluid intake when you increase your fiber in the diet.

You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids.

However for specific treatment and diagnosis, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy.

Nowadays, laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used. If it is a cyst then since it is causing pain, it has to be removed surgically.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.