What could be the cause of numbness on left side of neck ?

Question
What causes my neck to go numb on the left side? I don't want to self-diagnose by answering the questions below. Or to send you down a blind alley by including my health history in advance. Is this a problem?
Also: what is normal at my age may not be normal for me!
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later

Numbness of neck on one side can be most commonly due to trauma of the neck, cervical spondylosis or due to anxiety and stress. The exact cause can only be ruled out after proper examination by your doctor.

Till you get an appointment you can take some general measures to relieve your problem like-
1. Avoid using a pillow and avoid abnormal neck positions.
2. Take supplements of Methylcobalamin.
3. Use a hard bed for rest with a firm mattress to support your back and neck properly.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: What could be the cause of numbness on left side of neck ? 42 hours later
Thank you for your first response. I have been referred to a physical therapist and have had several chiropractic adjustments. I seem to get better each day, but almost imperceptibly. The numb neck went along with a stiff neck on my left side that developed from favoring my right arm after an overuse injury. I guess my next question is how long is normal for strains to repair? I am concerned that a more serious chronic condition may result if I return to activities too soon. I am already back at a quite physical job on light duty. Do any of the serious neurological conditions arise because of overuse injury that doesn't heal?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I will answer your queries one by one.

how long is normal for strains to repair?

Strains usually repair in 2-3 weeks provided a proper rest is given to the area.

Do any of the serious neurological conditions arise because of overuse injury that doesn't heal?

If proper rest is not given, mild pain or some neurological problem like numbness or tingling might persist. The long term effects are not so grave as to hinder the normal routine life style.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Follow-up: What could be the cause of numbness on left side of neck ? 1 hour later
Thank you again.
If permanent nerve damage is at stake, how does one know? I do know that nerves regenerate, because I have full feeling in a cheek now that was completely numb after a parotidectomy I had many years ago. My concern is whether, since
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome might be the cause of my discomfort, the pressure, if not relieved fully, might damage more than nerves, or nerves permanently. What do I need my doctor to rule out? And how? (and when?)
Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Yours does not seem to be a thoracic outlet syndrome. Only an orthopaedician can rule it out after careful examination.
The chances of permanent damage to nerve are almost negligible.

If permanent damage is at stake, the muscular weakness of hand muscles will also develop.

Hope this will help to remove your doubts.