What could be the cause of numbness in second toe of right foot with history of pinched nerve ?

Hi. I am a 47 year old female, 5'4" tall, weigh about 160 pounds. Just a few days ago I noticed that the second toe on my right foot has gone numb. There has not been any injury to that foot or my leg and there is no swelling on my foot or ankle. I have a history of a pinched nerve at C5-C6 with pain radiating to my right thumb and index finger but that has been resolved. I don't have a history of any other health problems. Occasionally, I get lower back pain but nothing that is really bad. Any idea why it is happening or if I should see just my GP or a neurologist?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

First of all let me say that I do not believe anything XXXXXXX or life threatening is going on. Very likely there is some degree of nerve compression which is causing the symptoms what you are experiencing in your toe. I don't think this has anything to do with anything in the brain otherwise and there is no sign that you suffered anything like a stroke. If you are familiar with due to compression of a nerve This phenomenon can also occur in the foot.

If there is a degree of tendinitis or swelling near the nerve sheath which holds the nerves which go to the toe there can be some numbness and tingling. I would also take a look at what kinds of shoes or sandals you have been wearing recently to see if any of them might have put some pressure along the base of the toe or at the base of your ankle.

One additional recommendation I have for you is for you to start taking some anti-inflammatory medication. This is an over-the-counter type of medication and if you take a course of this you may see some degree of relief. I recommend something like ibuprofen. 600 mg of ibuprofen can be taken three times per day for roughly 10 days. As an alternative you could use something like naproxen and take it as directed on the bottle. These medications may help reduce any swelling or possibly some tendinitis as I mentioned which could be causing your symptoms.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I hope my response has been both adequate and informative. If you have additional concerns I am available to address them.

Dr. Robert.