What could be the cause of numbness and soreness on left side of face?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...I'm 32yr old white male the past 2days I've had left sided numbness in my left cheek and eyelid it feels like pretty much my whole left side of face. It also feels numb but a little sore to the touch
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for your query ,

I would be able to give you a better answer if you could provide me with some more information like :

1)Do you have fever ?

2)Do you have pain associated with the numbness ?

3)Do you have running nose or had it in recent past ?

4)Do you have headache ?

5)Have you taken any medication for the same ?

Will wait for the information.
Follow-up: What could be the cause of numbness and soreness on left side of face? 32 minutes later
no fever it feels a little sore when i touch my skin on my cheek. i got a zpac off my friend who is a surgeon thinking it might be an infection. no runny nose sinus was burning a little bit yesterday. sinus feel good today. could it be a cardiac problem
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thanks following me up ,Thanks for the information.

No , It cannot be Cardiac problem.

I do agree with your surgeon friend that it is due to infection most probably in the sinus specially in the maxillary sinus.Other possibility which could be considered are infection in the maxillary dental alveolar sockets ,trigeminal nerve defect probably due to viral aetiology specially Herpes zoster.

I would advice you to take antiinflammatories like Ibuprofen 400mg after food twice a day for 3 days . The symptom will surely come down if its an infection.If the symptoms do no6 subside with Ibuprofen you may be needing an detailed examination specially by a ENT specialist.

Also do take Multivitamin supplements which will help lot if its a nerve involvement.
Follow-up: What could be the cause of numbness and soreness on left side of face? 1 hour later
what due you mean by multivitamin? should i take b12 would that help. i will go see my ent doctor tomorrow. if it isnt an ent problem would you suggest seeing a dentist. my questions are done after this posting and i would like to say thank you very much Dr. XXXXXXX for all your input
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Hi again ,

Yes, Vit B12 is one, which is going to help here.
and you got it right, if the ENT doctor cannot solve the problem then you may have to go for a dentist or a Oromaxillofacial (OMF)surgeon.

Wish you good health.