What could be the cause of itchy rash on thighs, arms, back and dry cough in child?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
hello, my son is 16 came home yesterday with itchy rash on his thighs, arms, back. he has a dry cough and has fatigue. Could this be a flu virus? What can I use to ease the itchy skin? He took a hot bath and the rash seemed to intensify.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Viral skin rash Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin condition and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now it looks like work son has developed a viral rash. Such skin rashes are quite common especially when there is associated cough or cold. Do not take bath with hot water. Use lukewarm or preferably cold water. Give him some antihistamines to relieve the associated discomfort. Something like benadryl will help. Apply a soothing lotion like calamine over the affected areas two to three times a day. Do not apply any other oil or cream over it . It would be good to mix the calamine lotion with a topical steroid cream like hydrocortisone before application Tell him to drink plenty of water. Wear cotton clothes. The skin rash will subside once the respiratory infection clears up. Hope it helps If you have any other query, please ask. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What could be the cause of itchy rash on thighs, arms, back and dry cough in child? 9 minutes later
is this rash contagious to others touching it? Is it safe to give him cough medicine? and benedryl?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Viral exanthem Detailed Answer: Hi again No, this skin rash is not contagious at all. Also you can safely give him benadryl. As far as cough medicine is concerned, do not give him any antibiotics especially penicillins. Other than these, you can give anything. Hope it answers your query Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What could be the cause of itchy rash on thighs, arms, back and dry cough in child? 8 minutes later
Thank you so much! You have been very helpful.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Best wishes Detailed Answer: You are most welcome. Wishing your son speedy recovery Dr Geetika Paul