What could be the cause of high blood pressure and itching around rib cage?

Question
Left rib cage has been ithcy (or some weird sensation) kind of feeling on the inside (under the skin), off and on for the last two weeks. What would cause this? I notice it is triggered when I am sitting. I don't feel it when I am laying down. I also noticed my blood pressure gets about 140 over 90 and pulse about 60 when this is happening. I am fit and my pulse is normally 50 to 65, and blood pressure 120 over 75ish
.And it is located more so in the back, I guess around the T5.
Why does it increase my blood pressure?

Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 16 hours later
Hi
Thanks for the query

The chest pain especially on the left side are always taken seriously as due to the heart located in this chamber. The symptoms like altering of blood pressure, pulse rate and shortness of breath accompanied with the chest pain are often due to cardiac problem. The pain on the back of the chest if of cardiac origin is often due to the posterior wall of the heart therefore it is recommended to have an ECG done to rule out any ischemic cause.

Other less common causes also includes costochondritis which is the inflammation of the costochondral junction and muscular spasms. thoracic spine problem are very uncommon.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: What could be the cause of high blood pressure and itching around rib cage? 1 hour later
It's not pain I feel. It's like an irritation or something. I had an ecg and it came back perfect. Could this be nerve related, or muscle spasm? If so, would that slightly elevate blood pressure? I feel fine until I sit in car and start driving, and then it starts bothering me.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 7 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the reply

Muscle spasm or the nerve issues have nothing to do with the blood pressure. the blood pressure values upto 140/90 are almost considered within normal range however such fluctuations do occur with problems like anxiety along with palpitations. They are short termed and frequents along with irritations mostly in chest areas.

if you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks