What could be the cause of four bleeding red spots on the back of my four year old child's neck?

My 4 year old and I have been playing outside in our yard. I just noticed 4 red spots, smaller in diameter to a pea on the back of his neck by the base of his skull. They're not raised, but they're bleeding a bit. He's not paying attention to them, and doesn't appear to have any other obvious issues. Any idea wha they could be?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 3 hours later

First of all i would like to assure you telling that it not a serious condition.

As you have said that your child is not paying attention to them that means to say they are painless.

As I have not examined your child i cannot exactly say what it is. But i will tell the possibilities of what it could be.

Assuming your child to be normal in all other aspects, they probably are:
1. It could be a simple blister that has ruptured.
Blister could be due to clothing, materials around the neck like chain etc
2. Due to exposure to sun small vesicle could have formed that has ruptured.
3. Minor injuries that would have occurred during play.

I suggest you to observe the lesions for a week. If they heal by itself just leave it. But if they increase in size, change in color or any other changes i suggest you to consult a Paediatrician.

I believe that they will heal by itself. So no need to worry. Just see to that the wound is kept clean and dry.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.