What could be the cause of fainting post fluttery feeling in stomach upto the throat ?

I am 52 years old, female and in sept. 2010 i had a flutter feeling in my stomach up to my throat and then passed out. My doctor did blood test and found nothing abnormal and then i wore a event heart monitor and no problems were detected. I have in the past been on mobic for a herniated disc but no longer use any and have also been taking dexilent for acid reflux. When i exercise it does not get worse but it does seem to happen when i eat. My doctor does not seam to be able to diagnose this and would like to know what htis is and what my next course of action should be.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 40 minutes later

Thanks for your query ,

I would like to first assure you that the symptom you have is not related to any serious issue pertaining to heart or any other illnesses which can be diagnosed with blood tests.

It could be a mechanical glitch , specially in the oesophagus or the sphincter of the oesophagus.Most likely and common causes producing such a symptom would be milder form of oesophageal spasm or atony( weakness) of the oesophageal sphincter.This idea could be supported by the acid reflux you have.

Continue the Dexilent it will take care of the effects of acid reflux, and I would like to advice you to get a Endoscopy test and if needed barometric studies in the oesophagus which can identify the exact cause and help in planing better treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.