What could be the cause of dry, painful cough, wheeze in chest and dull pressure persistent for 4 weeks

I have had a dry, painful cough for about 4 weeks now. Over the last week I have noticed that when I cough I get a very strong, but short lived, sea water taste in my mouth. There is a slight wheeze in my chest when I breathe and a constant dull pressure.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

It certainly sounds from your description that you have an inflammation of your airway or bronchial tree. This can be caused by infection or sometimes allergy/asthma. 4 weeks is a long time to have these symptoms so I recommend a thorough medical workup.

It may be necessary for you to be treated with an antibiotic and possibly with an inhaled medication such as albuterol which will help cut down the tightness and wheezing in the airway. Sometimes patients will be given a course of prednisone to assist with the inflammation as well. With airway inflammation fluid can leak into the airway which may be contributing to your sensation of having seawater in yor sputum.

I suggest you see your doctor to discuss this and have a full examination and treatment plan designed. I don't think a simple over the counter remedy will work for you with the symptoms as advanced as they are today.

I thank you again for your query. I hope you found this response to be adequate and helpful. If you have any additional concerns Inwould be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga